Celebrating 1 Year

A couple weeks ago I decided that I wanted to celebrate my remission by doing a Light the Night Walk. The Light the Night Walk is an fundraising event by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society that raises money for the research of cures for blood cancers. The walk is only 1 mile (yay). This weekend my husband and I went to our very first Light the Night Walk.

I went into this event already knowing that I would cry at some point but not knowing that I would want to cry at every point... mostly tears of joy. When my husband and I got to the event we checked in at registration and walked over to the tent to get our lanterns.

At this event each participant is given a lantern with a specific color. Red lanterns are for family and supporters. Gold Lanterns are in recognition of those we have lost to the fight. And a white lantern if you are a survivor or current fighter.

My husband got his red lantern and I was told to go to a different tent to get my white lantern. I walked over to the tent with the sign that said "Survivors Tent". As I stood in line I started to well up with tears of joy. I was given a survivors shirt, button, gift card, resources and my white lantern.


This event sure knows how to make someone feel special. The word survivor means so much to me now and I feel so blessed to have that title. 

My husband and I got there early so we walked around looking at the different booths, getting snacks and free junk (I love free junk!). When the opening ceremony started, there was recognition for the individuals, teams and businesses who had raised the most money, stories of survivors and an amazing guest speaker who spoke of her 12 year battle with cancer and the amazing news she just received of being in remission. I definitely cried during her story. 

Then kind of randomly, Los Angeles Laker Kareem Abdul Jabbar came onto stage, he didn't say anything he just stood there, the host said that he was a supporter of the walk. It was random. 

Anyways, then it was time for the lantern ceremony. The speaker asked everyone with a gold lantern to turn it on and lift it high to honor those we have lost to cancer. Then they asked all the survivors to come to the center to create the survivors circle. We were then told to turn on our lights and light them high. A beam of light also shot out from that circle as we lifted the lanterns up. Then it was the supporters turn to lift up their red lanterns. In the dark of night as I looked around and saw all of the survivors, supporters and lanterns for those who had passed on, I was overwhelmed with emotion, happy that I survived, thankful for all the supporters and sad for those who didn't make it through this battle. 

And I knew in this moment that this is how I want to celebrate my remission every year.


The walk was fun, cars honked in celebration as we marched down the street with our lanterns. And afterward my husband and I went to get dessert. A perfect night. 

If you have the chance to participate in a Light the Night Event please do, it is not like any other fundraiser walk and amazing event to participate in. Click here for event locations near you.

Thanks for reading!
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in Remission: Year One

Aahaan....(Food)