Lymphomie Homies - Community in Action

Last year when I was going through chemotherapy, I realized the importance of surrounding yourself with good people. I also learned that some people are not sure what to do when others are struggling.

Whenever people say, "If you need anything just let me know", I kind of cringe. I know it's said out of kindness but it's not the most helpful thing you can do. Especially if it is said over social media. When people are struggling, whether it be sickness, mental health issues or any other life hurdles, it is difficult to ask for help. So people will not let you know if they need help.

Although I had a few people say this line to me, for the most part I experienced the most genuine acts of love and kindness from my community. Instead of just saying "Let me know if you need anything" they offered to help, asked how they could help and sacrificed their own time to help me. Family, my husband and friends offered to cook for me, drive me to appointments, hang out with me during long (boring) appointments and came to visit me while I was recovering. Friends let my husband and I stay in their guest room when we were driving from out of town to my appointments. I can't list all of the things that family, my husband and friends have done for me during my chemotherapy treatment and recovery because I was overwhelmingly blessed by my community.

I don't know what I would have done without my people.

If you are going through a hard time right now, find your people and let them bless you. I know it's hard to let people do things for you but let them! I had a family member offer to come with me to a scan and biopsy. I thought it would be boring for her but she insisted and she came along. After my biopsy appointment, my local anesthesia wore off and I was in an incredible amount of pain. My family member was able to run out and get me some Tylenol while we were on our way to my scan. It was super helpful to have an extra person around to help, you never know whats going to happen so if people offer to help in any way, let them!!!

If you know someone who is going through a hard time, think about how you can help. Be specific about how you want to help, ask when would be a good time and then go for it. Your friend or family member might resist the help because they might feel like a burden, but offer anyways. You have to be much more intentional and make sacrifices but your family or friend will feel so loved and blessed by your help.

Sometimes we don't have time to go to an appointment, cook a meal, clean their house or do some kind of grand gesture, that's okay. Be there for your person just to listen, let them talk, cry, or sit in silence. Pray often. Let your person express whatever emotions they are feeling, don't try to fix them, just let them express themselves.

Life can be hard, let people help you and if you are in the place where you can, be there for others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating 1 Year

Life in Remission: Year One

Aahaan....(Food)