Meal Prepping- The Freezer is your Friend Part 2

In my last post, I shared a few of my go to recipes and mentioned some of the other things I cooked. I was asked to share the recipes I did not write out yesterday.

So today lets talk about oat waffles and marinara sauce.

The marinara sauce that I make in bulk and freeze is not made by an exact recipe. Much like the salsa recipe I mentioned in the last post, the marinara sauce recipe is just a list of approximate ingredients.

3-4 lbs Roma Tomatoes
1 yellow onion (cubed)
Tomato paste
3-5 garlic cloves (minced)
Red pepper flakes
Salt
Pepper
Oregano
Basil
Sugar
Olive oil

In a large pot over medium/ high heat pour a few tablespoons of olive oil into the pot. Add the minced garlic and cubed onion. Stir together the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant. Use a cheese shredder to shred the tomatoes into a bowl. Shredding helps the tomatoes cook faster and takes off the tomato skin easily. Add the shredded tomatoes into the pot. Also add a tablespoon or two of tomato paste. Then add in all of the seasonings and sugar. The sugar is for neutralizing the acidity of the tomatoes, so just add a spoonful at a time until the sauce seems right (I told you this wasn't really a recipe). Reduce the heat to medium so that the sauce can simmer for an hour.

I like for my sauce to be a little more on the spicy side so I like to add quite a bit of red pepper flakes. This sauce is really easy to make and you can doctor it to make it just like you like it. You can add some red wine to your sauce if you like, make the sauce your own and don't be intimidated to try this recipe, it's really hard to mess it up.

The next recipe that I love to cook every once in a while is Oat Waffles. Like I mentioned in my last post, I love to make these waffles in bulk, freeze them and then bring a few out and toast them for a few minutes. So here's the recipe:

1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. oats
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
6 Tbsp. butter (melted)
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
A splash of vanilla

Combine all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl, do not over mix the batter. Make sure to butter up your waffle iron and let it heat up on high. Ladle a large amount of batter on to the waffle iron and cook for 5-6 minutes. Let the waffles cool on the rack before packaging and freezing.

Both of these recipes are good to have on hand when you just want to warm something up to eat quickly. Let me know if you have any questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating 1 Year

Life in Remission: Year One

Aahaan....(Food)